Author Topic: ‘Strue……  (Read 1153 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Strue……
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2024, 12:55 PM »
Too oblique for me, sorry.  But why does Cliff look such a prat ?  I'm sure that when he recorded that video his "animation" wouldn't have seemed in any way unusual, but viewed today, I'm sorry, but he just looks a complete prat.  He should have stuck to singing with the Shadows !

I agree the choreography isn't great but I think he produced better music as a solo singer, notably one of my favourite tracks by any artist - Some People. That said, very few artists release more than half a dozen tracks which are to my liking.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2024, 12:39 AM »
This video, making a madras from scratch shows his baked onions base.  I think the result of just pan cooking them in oil could be similar but it’s interesting.
https://youtu.be/j-7-iBRjJcg?si=HTEE2Ei7P_ZSF0WM
The finished dish looks very good to me, the colour, the texture, so I sought out his other stuff.

This is the vindaloo paste he makes in a HUGE batch.
https://youtu.be/E7wl9hbsH6Y?si=qzCyS7Fmgle-amOe

And the vindaloo he makes. A bit heavy on the spuds for me but in my never ending search to recreate BIR vindaloo, I have to give it a bash.

https://youtu.be/YLx_u3ZUL1s?si=lhHO0hQg--SNx-T0

Robbo

Robbo, Rik is putting together an extensive catalogue of videos. He tried to get back on this forum a few years ago but was thwarted by password failures etc, at a time when many of us were having the same or similar problems, so he just gave up.  I was chatting with him quite frequently at the time.  I've made his Madras when it was first released and since. I've also made his Madras Curry Paste, which I still use today. I should imagine his Vindaloo recipe will be pretty good as he most certainly knows his way around the kitchen and in particular a curry pan.  Check out the video he released today on a quick Chinese Curry Paste. Potato Chips in Curry Sauce looks pretty good and I'm thinking along the lines of another Curried Prawns and Rice in the near future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nW8OFImovw

Now, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, have you tried Julian's (Curry Academy) Vindaloo?  Here is the link to the very brief thread about it.  It appears that not many here on the forum went to the bother of trying it.  I know I saw it way back then, but I don't recall ever cooking it as Vindaloo heat is not on my family eat list.  However, I may need to give it a try just out of curiosity.  He certainly seems to suggest that this recipe is on par with the best available BIR Vindaloo.
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=11823.msg93699#msg93699

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2024, 03:32 PM »
Cheers Livo I have not tried Julian’s recipe but will definitely do so. Maybe this weekend when I get home from business trip. I’ve been making a lot of dal recently. Rediscovered the love for it.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2024, 11:52 PM »
Robbo, another direction possibly worth exploring, if you haven't already, is to have a look at Syed's Chicken Tikka Vindaloo.  You may recall that Syed contributed here on the forum briefly, and his "authentic BIR Chef" personality proved to be quite informative.  He uses a very simple vindaloo paste made by dissolving paprika and chilli powder in a cup of water as a substitute for part of the base gravy and reduces the base gravy accordingly.  The potency of the paste is determined by the cook / diner.  His dry roasted mixed powder was a new idea at the time, but it did work, and his dishes are very tasty.  I still regularly cook his chicken tikka, but I see no reason why you couldn't just make this with pre-cooked chicken instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0nrzAIa5QQ

Note the complete absence of any sour, acidic or bittering ingredient. No vinegar, tamarind or lemon juice. No Worcestershire sauce or coffee granules.  However, it does have potato.  Is it a vindaloo?

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2024, 11:15 PM »
I will add to this as it seems to have evolved into a Vindaloo post but there are recent comments in some others as well... I didn't want to start another though.

I was looking for a Vindaloo recipe, prompted by putting items away 4 months ago (we moved house...for the last time, ever again!) and as I was putting the cider Vinegar away in it's new home, remembered that I used to really like the Vindaloo I made with it.. but I can't remember how or where I saw the recipe.  That was another reason for my posting a few days ago, to see if I can find the recipe here maybe, as I used to read every recipe or near as.

Anyway, no luck but I did find this recipe, which I tried once but I can't remember if I really liked it or not (chicken on the bone is not really my thing).
https://niksharmacooks.com/chicken-vindaloo/

What struck me earlier today was a post in the Vindaloo forum: Instant Pot and paneer vindaloo, once again discounting that 'missing ingredient' and about potato.  I seem to remember someone suggesting that the Potato was an addition to the dish so that a server could distinguish the dish from other similar ones.  As for the 'missing ingredient', it made me remember the above recipe and the 'Cooks comments' at the end, re stainless steel, which I don't really understand but maybe others do?

Having rechecked it today, I also delved into the comments and the author replies about the use of Cardamom which I also found interesting.

Consequently, I will have to retry his recipe again at some point and see if how it compares to other Vindaloo dishes I have made.

BAJ

P.S. Feel free to spilt this comment off it should have posted somewhere else - I may be a bit rusty.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2024, 02:01 AM »
It is odd that Vindaloo is typically considered a hot dish and Kashmiri Chilli a non-heating chilli used essentially for colour, and yet this recipe by Nik Sharma uses 15 x KRC and no other.  My experience with Kashmiri Chilli is that they do impart considerable heat, for my palate anyway, albeit not on the level of other varieties.  Several other videos I have seen also use a fair quantity of whole dried Kashmiris that are deseeded and soaked either in water or in one instance warm vinegar.  Some of these also use additional hot chillis or powders. 

By his own conversion, as noted in the comments, 4 whole dried KRC is equal to about 1 TBSP of powder so his recipe would call for nearly 4 TBSP of powder. Either way it is something I would need to do a very small sample dish to test before I went ahead and made the whole thing.

I wouldn't think that typical BIR method uses whole dried chillis unless the establishment goes to the effort of using them to make a "Vindaloo Sauce" specifically for the purpose.  I would imagine that a simplified method, such as Syed's powders and water is a more likely approach in a BIR setting.

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2024, 07:12 PM »
I have no problem with this thread becoming vindaloo focused. 😊
I remember chef Syed very well and have a number of his recipes typed up.  I’ll see if I wrote up the vindaloo one. But next on the list is that one of Rik’s for YouTube.  Without the spuds. I know they’re in the BIR version and I don’t mind them at all but not essential for me.
I’ve typed up Rik’s onion base, vindaloo paste and the final dish recipes.
Can I attach a Word doc or pdf here? Or do I need to type it all out?

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 10:05 PM »
Robbo, you can attach files just below the text entry box and both .doc and .pdf are accepted.  You could be pleased with Rik's recipe. He does some really good stuff (recent Chinese curry paste and follow up beef curry is amazingly good).  I for one will be interested to learn how his vindaloo stacks up compared to your goal.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2024, 10:38 AM »
I remember chef Syed very well and have a number of his recipes typed up.  I’ll see if I wrote up the vindaloo one.

See https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/8okx6r1l4o1sbv6hd8pk9/AIhNmZ1uZAMWGGGsG_UrVLo?rlkey=4ov5ouc1qsg7z08sd5rmdvbn3, where you will find (among others) "Syed's chicken tikka vindaloo.docx".
--=
** Phil.

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2024, 02:52 PM »
Excellent Phil, thank you. You type up as many recipes as I do.
I’m going to start another thread on the vindaloo subject to keep things organized.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes