Author Topic: Rik’s vindaloo  (Read 2485 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rik’s vindaloo
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 01:49 PM »
I think what I can say straight up is that the store bought paste is more acidic. 

Do you have any means of checking the acidity, especially between one item and another? I use paper strips, mainly. I also have an electronic device as sold for use with hydroponics. All readily available, low cost and, in my opinion, worth having.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 02:14 PM »
But I have to say my search is over. This vindaloo is perfection. Absolutely the best curry I have ever made and definitely improved overnight. Hard not to wax lyrical about this and if you’re lucky enough to live in the UK and can pop round to the local takeaway, this may seem over the top. I’m done. No need to try Indian restaurants here in Illinois except to try genuine Indian dishes. For my BIR vindaloo, I found it. And thanks to a Yorkshireman, who’d have thought….?

Robbo

Great news Robbo and certainly not over the top.   It's a great feeling.  Actually,  getting a half decent curry over here these days is often a big ask,  never mind a top notcher.  You wouldn't believe how bad most of the TAs are. 

Your photos are fine.  I think they would look even better with more light.  Put a bigger bulb in.  The main light in my kitchen is so bright you can't look at it directly.

Rob :smile:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2024, 09:40 PM »
Acidity. 2 things. For Rik's paste I used Cornwell's Brown Malt Vinegar and I'd imagine the Ashoka paste probably uses generic strong white vinegar (acetic acid). I don't think it's necessary to measure the pH and it was just my initial observation from a quick taste. The Ashoka had more vinegar tang.

After resting the curries for 3 hours and eating them for dinner (side-by-side on the same plate) I couldn't really tell them apart. Mrs Livo said she thought the Ashoka dish was sweeter and that makes sense as gram for gram it does have more sugar in the finished dish.  I couldn't say I tasted it, nor could I discern the sharper vinegar tang any more.

What do I think of Chicken Vindaloo? I really like it and I was pleasantly surprised that it isn't a stupidly hot chilli dish. It was really nicely balanced and Mrs L didn't mention it being too hot.  I didn't tell her it was vindaloo until after she'd eaten it.  I only made a quarter of the amount of Vindaloo paste using 3 de-seeded and rehydrated kashmiri red chillis and 1 large fresh red Cayenne pepper, also de-seeded. The powdered chilli was as per the recipe scale but I did use mild chilli powder, not hot.

The aroma of vindaloo is strong and enticing. Once the kasoori methi hits the pan you really notice it.

Rik's pastes take a bit of doing but once done the cooking of the dish is so easy and there's a few dishes in it.  Masala Mark's recipe with the Ashoka paste with onion paste (mix Sabrini and bunjarra) used whole spices and pre-cooked chicken but again a quick easy cook as you'd expect for a restaurant style recipe.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 12:36 AM by livo »

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2024, 11:47 PM »
Yesterday I made my 2nd Rik’s vindaloo. Cooked in the afternoon, to allow it to rest a little before reheating for the start of the NFL season.  You can keep your wings and hot dogs America!  I only ate half during the game and it was very good, but saved half to let it rest overnight. I reheated it this morning for ten-ses (never seem to make it to 11am) and had it with a hot dog roll, split, buttered and browned in the cast iron pan - very Mumbai pav style.
The vindaloo was even better this morning. Overnight resting is the way, grasshopper. I wonder what the science behind it is?

In between vindaloos I made a mild dish so Mrs Robbo could enjoy, as I have no standard base in the freezer.
https://youtu.be/TzYACT9nT7A?si=9NFTW_Ov-xoF003j
Chicken tikka lazeez was rich and delicious.

I’ve been watching way too many videos from this guy.

Robbo

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2024, 01:38 PM »
Hi Robbo

Glad to hear about your success with Rik's Vindaloo. I would really like to give it a try but I am struggling to find a link to his recipes. I would appreciate it if you could help me out?

Regards

Mick

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2024, 02:04 PM »
Hey Mick
This is the vindaloo paste.
https://youtu.be/E7wl9hbsH6Y?si=mcxP2XfRZvG5Mh6G

And this is the dish.
https://youtu.be/YLx_u3ZUL1s?si=K8ARMmj96_-oan7p

I didn’t add the roast potatoes but at some point will try with boiled spuds just to see.
It’s a great curry for me.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2024, 01:09 AM »
Don't forget the Reverse Base (Onions Baked).
Reverse Base

Although, you could just fry and melt some onions first or use some bought onion paste.  I have used this one, which I found to be pretty good.  You should be able to find a similar product over there.  I believe Shan does one as well.
Sabrini Onion Paste
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 01:27 AM by livo »

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2024, 12:32 AM »
Good catch Livo, forgot that. I’ll definitely have a look next time I visit our enormous Indian supermarket.

Robbo

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2024, 02:38 PM »
Hey Mick
This is the vindaloo paste.
https://youtu.be/E7wl9hbsH6Y?si=mcxP2XfRZvG5Mh6G

And this is the dish.
https://youtu.be/YLx_u3ZUL1s?si=K8ARMmj96_-oan7p

I didn’t add the roast potatoes but at some point will try with boiled spuds just to see.
It’s a great curry for me.

Robbo

Thanks very much!

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2024, 02:15 AM »
Third cook of this vindaloo. This time using chicken stripped from a rotisserie bird from Costco and threw in a couple of red chillies. Straight cook and eat. No resting.
Still fantastic.  Rested version cooked with raw chicken is better I think, but my search for vindaloo is over.

PS: tried to post pic using the same process as used for years, but won’t show.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes