Author Topic: Rik’s vindaloo  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Rik’s vindaloo
« on: August 24, 2024, 03:00 PM »
Yesterday I made Rik’s vindaloo paste and boy was that a labor of love. An hour peeling garlic.

I was a bit concerned about the seemingly ridiculous 3 cups of ketchup (a foodstuff for kids and absolutely disgusting to me), but I followed the recipe exactly and now have 11 portions to experiment with.  7 TBSP of paste per dish. Freezer now full.
Rik calls for 10-20 dried chillies so I went with 19. A mix of dried Kashmiri and a few d’arbol.

Today, the roasted onion paste / base and tonight the first bash at the final dish.

Robbo

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rik’s vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 06:31 PM »
That was definitely a labour of love!  I look forward to hearing your results. If you ever need to peel such volumes of garlic again, the site does have the answer :smiling eyes:

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6128.0

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 06:38 PM »
I’ve tried the shaking thing in a glass jar but next time will give this a go. Might just save me that hour!

Robbo

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 08:26 PM »
I just stood in the sweltering 90 deg F to cook this as I couldn’t wait. My onion paste was a lot lighter in color than Rik’s but I’d cooked them an hour in the oven and they were plenty soft. Next time longer, because this has to be repeated. Many times.

And here it is. Not very exciting shot but I have to say, this is a strong 9/10, if not 9.5…will find out tomorrow as am deliberately letting it sit overnight to see if it improves. My taster plate was absolutely delicious and could easily have come from a British Indian restaurant.
Is it 100% the real deal?  Is anything really? Who knows, but it’s the best attempt at a vindaloo I’ve ever made and cannot wait to get through the other 10 portions in the freezer.

This Brit abroad is a happy man today. 

Robbo

Online livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 11:34 PM »
Good to hear it worked for you Robbo. 

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 09:55 AM »
I share your enthusiasm Robbo.  Made several currys with the baked onion paste/base last week.  Madras, vindaloo and phal.  I didn't make the vindaloo paste.  Was just curious to see how things in general panned out.  My usual, everything on the dry side, with plenty of oil.  Impressive results and depth.  Made another batch of the base last night.  Plan now to focus on an old school madras.

Your vindaloo looks excellent.  It will be good to hear about your journey with this one and ultimately that magical 10/10.  Livo pointing out that Rik was once a member on here made me smile.  A reminder that the best in BIR recipes invariably tracks back to this forum. 

Rob

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 03:10 AM »
Ok, another not exactly inspiring pic.

But I have to say my search is over. This vindaloo is perfection. Absolutely the best curry I have ever made and definitely improved overnight. Hard not to wax lyrical about this and if you’re lucky enough to live in the UK and can pop round to the local takeaway, this may seem over the top. I’m done. No need to try Indian restaurants here in Illinois except to try genuine Indian dishes. For my BIR vindaloo, I found it. And thanks to a Yorkshireman, who’d have thought….?

Robbo

Online livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 05:00 AM »
So, this is it then!  I'm halfway there so I'll let you know if I like it or not. So far so good.  Pictures to come. 

I'm glad you found it Robbo.  I know the feeling of cracking an elusive conquest.  That Yorkshireman knows a thing or 2 about curry, as did others who are now sadly not here.

Online livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 08:17 AM »
Done! 2 vindaloos and only very quick tasters of each so far.  I think what I can say straight up is that the store bought paste is more acidic.  It does list acetic acid in the ingredients rather than vinegar.  Same but different.  At this point, I will say that I like them both and I'm pleased that they aren't just chilli hot dishes.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 09:22 AM »
[T]he store bought paste is more acidic.  It does list acetic acid in the ingredients rather than vinegar. 

I wonder (and you may well know the answer, Livo) whether this is because of an Australian legal requirement regarding labelling.  Is it perhaps the case that a food manufacturer is required to give (where possible) the scientific name of the ingredients rather than the common name to ensure that there can be no ambiguity ?  I really do doubt that the manufacturer sourced lab grade acetic acid when he could just as easily (and far more cheaply) used vinegar ...
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes