Author Topic: Chetna Makan's Masala Chicken  (Read 634 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Chetna Makan's Masala Chicken
« on: June 29, 2024, 06:34 PM »
Masala Chicken

In this chicken dish from Chetna Makan, a crispy, well-seasoned exterior gives way to juicy meat inside. Makan says that after she developed this recipe, she couldn’t stop eating it, and we can see why.

Servings: 4

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) chickpea flour
  • 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (see Notes)
  • 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kasoori methi
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon kala namak
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 to 6 chicken thighs, halved, or quartered if large (1 1/4 pounds total)
  • 3 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
  • Ginger-chili chutney, for serving (optional)
  • Cooked white or brown rice, for serving (optional)
  • Naan or flatbreads, for serving (optional)

Directions
Total: 30 mins

• In a large cast-iron or non-stick skillet over a low heat, toast the chickpea flour, stirring constantly, until it starts to darken, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and carefully wipe the hot pan clean.
  • To the bowl with the flour, add the yogurt, chili powder, fenugreek, garam masala, kala namak and cumin and stir until well combined. Add the chicken and toss until well coated.
  • In a skillet over a medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken in a single layer — it’s okay if some pieces are touching. Cook, undisturbed, until the chicken turns brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully and reduce the heat if the chicken starts to burn. Flip the pieces and continue cooking until the chicken is golden on all sides and cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees C, 3 to 5 minutes. (Thicker pieces of chicken may take a bit longer.) Divide among shallow bowls and serve with chutney, rice and/or naan, if using.

Notes

Be sure to use plain yogurt, not Greek yogurt, when making this recipe. If you have only the latter, thin it with a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock until it is the consistency of plain yogurt.

Storage: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350-degree oven or toaster oven for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Adapted from “Chetna's 30 Minute Indian: Quick and Easy Everyday Meals” by Chetna Makan (Mitchell Beazley, 2021).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 07:28 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chetna Makan's Masala Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 11:56 PM »
Thanks Phil. I’ve been watching quite a bit of Chetna’s YouTube uploads recently.
Will give this a try as it’s a bit different to my usual.
Robbo

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chetna Makan's Masala Chicken
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 07:03 AM »
  • Ginger-chili chutney, for serving (optional)

I recently found that our local Tesco stocks Mrs Balls mango chutney. It became a firm favourite when I used to cook Bobotie for the kids many years ago as it is a South African product that was mentioned in a lot of the recipes by name. It comes in a tall bottle and pours well straight from the fridge.
It is the mango chutney I tend to go for these days.
My digestive system no longer tolerates chilli chutneys and pickles unfortunately.

©2024 Curry Recipes