Author Topic: Nan-e Barbari (Persian Flatbread)  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Nan-e Barbari (Persian Flatbread)
« on: September 24, 2022, 09:19 AM »
Walked past a newly opened Iranian food shop yesterday and the waft from their bakery drew me in.  Bread made with "regular" flour is a keto no-no, but I thought maybe I can get a mini naan, or something, just to have a look at it. :)

This is what I got:

Freshly baked.  Has to be over 3 feet long.  Very light and crispy, sprinkled with sesame and kalonji seeds.  I tried a small piece, brushed with butter ghee.  Divine!  Let the rest cool before popping it in the fridge.  Just about to cut it into 25-30 g (ish) portions, for deep freeze.  It should last me quite some time.  It cost £2.

Just had to make a curry last night.  So I could have another little piece of the bread.

Balti Lamb (Bhuna), underway

Rob     

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Nan-e Barbari (Persian Flatbread)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:21 AM »
Now that is what I call a flatbread !  You should take it to the Mulberry Tree near Marden, Kent, where the last time I went there the butter portion was so small that it would barely have covered a Smartie ...
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 12:29 AM »
Wow that bread looks amazing. Puts me in mind of the first time I had dosa and it came out extending a foot over both sides of the plate. Delicious.

Robbo

Online livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55 AM »
Shame I'm off the flour. I'd love to give that a try, but then I wouldn't know where to look for one over here.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2024, 02:26 PM »
Been getting these breads now and then.  Got one last week.  Still £2.50.  Not bad given they must be the equivalent of 8 regular naan breads, at least.  Now when they are ready the baker sticks a price label on the bag, to speed things up at the checkout.  Also has the name of the bread on it.  They are Sangak bread, not Barberi bread as I had assumed.  Have checked the difference.  The dimpled pattern on the underside of Barberi is done by punching the dough (knuckles).  Whereas with Sangak the pattern is due to the pebbles they are traditionally cooked on.  How nice is that?  Could prove tricky to make at home from scratch though.  Doesn't affect me of course as I have never had any success making any form of bread at home.  It's just beyond me and I get flour/mess all over the place.

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes